This was my first try making Chicago Deep Dish Pizza at home. I found a great reviewed recipe online.
Making the dough only took total of 2.5 hours including the rising part but it may differ according to your home conditions and also because I substituted flour for the called cornmeal in the recipe as I did not have that on hand. This recipe makes 2 balls of dough for a 9″ circle pie. I froze one of them for later use. If you are going to do the same only do the rising in the oven and do not let it rise in the fridge which is the second rising.
I will list the needed ingredients below and you can go to the provided link for the original thorough step by step recipe with pictures.
Pizza Crust (makes 2)
- 3 and 1/4 cups (420g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1/2 cup (60g) yellow cornmeal
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 Tablespoon (12g) granulated sugar
- 2 and 1/4 teaspoons (7g) Red Star Platinum yeast (1 standard packet)
- 1 and 1/4 cups (300ml) slightly warm water
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, divided (1/4 cup melted, 1/4 cup softened to room temperature)
- olive oil for coating
Tomato Sauce for Both Pizzas
- 2 Tablespoons (30g) unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, grated (about 1/3 cup)*
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional, but recommended)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- one 28-ounce can (794g) crushed tomatoes*
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
Toppings for Both Pizzas
- 4 cups (about 16 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese*
- 1/2 cup (45g) grated parmesan cheese
- I also added turkey pepperoni
For the full steps please go the link provided as it also provides step by step picture.
As for the pasta, I did my own spin for spicy rose pasta. I cooked half a box of whole wheat penne pasta to al dente. In the water I put in salt and olive oil before adding the pasta.
For the sauce, I added some flavor to regular jar of prego pasta tomato sauce. I added tomato paste, 1/2tsp red pepper flakes, 1tsp dried oregano, 1.5 tbsp unsalted butter, 1/4 cup almond milk and Korean carbonara spicy buldak sauce. The spicy buldak sauce add to your spice level liking. Taste as you go. After the sauce came together I added in the pasta and cooked it a bit together. Added in parmesan cheese and then served.
This was featured in our new youtube mukbang episode. Please come visit, like and subscribe for more~ *^^* if already subscribed, always grateful for our subscribers. Please feel free to leave comments if you want to see us eat a dish or something tl improve.