To use up my big stash of oatmeal I decided to bake them into cookies. I found a nice recipe from quaker oatmeal site. Used their oatmeal raisin cookie recipe and made it my own by substituting raisins for coconut and almonds.
The original recipe makes 48 cookies but I decided to double it to make one batch of regular round cookie balls and the other batch into cookie bars, a suggested recipe in the site.
- 1 cup butter (used a bit less butter)
- 2.5 cups firmly packed brown sugar (combined the white sugar into just all brown sugar)
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 cups uncooked quaker oats oatmeal
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a large bowl beat the sugar and eggs on medium speed until creamy.
- Add egss and vanilla, beat well.
- Add flour, baking soda and cinnamon, mix well.
- Add in the almonds and coconut, mix well.
- Bake it for 10 minutes, until golden brown and let it cool completely. (I had to cook it for 15minutes probably because of the different toppings)
For the bar version you will need to have 13×9 baking pan, press it down and bake it for 35 minutes.