For the first time ever I made kimbap today to pack for my bae’s lunch. It was easier than I thought even without the bamboo sheet roller usually used to roll kimbap.
The day before I prepped the ingredients to go inside and set a timer for the rice to cook in time when I wake up to make kimbap right away. The spicy tuna is also handmade.
Ingrdients for spicy tuna:
- 1 can of tuna
- 1 korean red or green spicy chili
- 1/4 of onion
- 1/8 of carrot
- 2 tbsp gochujang (korean spicy red pepper paste)
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp korean oligo sugar syrup
- 0.5 tbsp korean red chili powder
- Bit of black pepper
- 1 tbsp tobasco hot sauce
Directions for spicy tuna:
First prep the veggies. Finely mince the carrot and onion. Slice the red chili. In a bowl combine the ingredients for the sauce. Then in a frying pan add some oil start cooking the onion and carrot. Once cooked add in the tuna and the sauce. Combine and let it cook through. Let it cool.
Ingredients for kimbap:
- Spicy tuna
- 2 bunches of spinach
- 5 eggs
- 1 small package of yellow picked radish (korean marts like Hmart sell the small packages for kimbap use already sliced into long pieces)
- 1 tbsp of minced garlic
- Sesame oil
- Cooking oil
- Sesame seeds
- 1 package of kimbap use laver
- Cooked korean sticky rice
- Day before prep the ingredients will make it easier to roll next morning.
- Wash the spinach.
- Into a heated frying pan add in 1:1 of sesame oil and olive oil. Add in the spinach and let it cook down once somewhat cooked add in 1 tbsp of minced garlic and bit of salt. Cook through and finish with sprinkle of sesame seeds.
- Next the eggs. Beat 5 eggs well.
- Into a heated frying pan on medium low heat, add in some olive oil. Only an amount to coat a thin layer around. Then add in the eggs. Let it cook through when the top side is almost cooked with almost no egg liquid jiggling. Flip once and let it cook. Take it out onto a cutting board and slice it into long strips. Let it cool.
- For the rice, I cooked 4 cups of Korean rice with 1 tbsp of sticky rice. Cooked it in my usual instant pot. Once cooked take all the rice out into a large bowl let it cool, to cool faster stick it in the freezer for a few minutes. Add in sesame oil drizzle 2 circles around. Salt to taste and sesame seeds. Mix together well.
- Take 1 sheet of laver with the long side facing you. Spread a layer of rice almost to the edge. (See image below)
- On the bottom half close to the bottom edge leaving 1 inch space, lay each ingredient (1 slice of yellow radish, spinach in a line, 1 strip of egg and the tuna in same line)
- Lift the bottom edge and roll. As you roll, shape it into log with your hands.
- Once you finish rolling, with a brush, brush the top with some sesame oil.
- Repeat until you used up the rice. It came out to be 5 rolls.