Made some simple homemade mapa tofu and egg soup Korean Style.
Ingredients for Mapa Tofu:
- 1 package of tofu
- 1 cup of minced pork meat
- 1 onion
- 1 big green onion
- 3 tbsp korean red chili powder
- 1 tbsp korean soy bean paste
- 0.5 tbsp of gochujang
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup of korean soy sauce
- 2 cups of water
- 3 big heaping tablespoons of flour
- 1 tbsp of sesame oil
Directions for Mapa Tofu
- First mince the onion and green onion. Cut the tofu into small cubes.
- In a frying pan of oil, first stir fry the onion. Once half way cooked through, add in the meat.
- Add in the seasoning, korean chili powder, korean soy bean paste, gochujang, minced garlic and korean soy sauce. Cook together.
- Add in the 2 cups of water let it come to a boil.
- Add in the tofu and green onion. Let it come to a boil again and cook through.
- When almost all the ingredients are cooked through, add in the flour 1 tbsp at a time. You can add in more or less by seeing the consistency. It should be a thick consistency.
- Once it comes to a boil again, add in the sesame oil.
- Eat together with some rice enjoy with the thick egg soup recipe below. Great pairing!
Ingredients for Thick Egg Soup (4 servings):
- 4 eggs
- 1.5 big green onion
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp oil
- 4 tbsp korean soy sauce
- 2 tbsp korean oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 8 cups of water
- 2 tbsp of flour with 5 tbsp of water
Directions for Thick Egg Soup:
- In a small bowl make the soup thickener beforehand by mixing 2 tbsp of flour with 5 tbsp of water. (if you need to make more, make more as you add it in the soup later to make the thick consistency)
- Beat the 4 eggs together.
- Slice the onion and green onion.
- In a pot, put in 2 tbsp of oil and first stir fry the sliced green onion to bring out the green onion flavor scent.
- Once you smell the scent, add in the onion, 4 tbsp of soy sauce and stir fry.
- Once the onions are about halfway cooked through, add in the 8 cups of water, 1 tbsp of salt, 1 tbsp of sugar and 2 tbsp of korean oyster sauce.
- Once it comes to a boil, add in the soup thickener you made in the beginning.
- Let it come to a boil, then add in the beaten eggs. Turn off the heat and close the lid. Wait about 3-4 minutes.
- After waiting 3-4 minutes and the eggs are cooked off the heat open the lid, and add in the 1 tbsp of sesame oil. Enjoy!