To use up some kimchi, I decided to make korean thick pork belly kimchi stew. This recipe is so simple and delicious nicely pairs with a bowl of rice. No other side dishes needed!
Ingredients (about 4-5 servings):
- 500g whole cut pork belly
- 600ml water
- 1/2 of old whole cabbage kimchi
- 2 tbsp korean soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oligodang (korean oligo sugar syrup)
- 1 tbsp korean fish sauce
- 1/2 tbsp soy bean paste
- 1 heaping tbsp of minced garlic (may put less according to your taste preference)
- 1.5 tbsp korean red chili powder (may put less or omit based on your preferences for spicy level)
- One mediume onion
- 1/2 korean big green onion
- First make the sauce. Add the water, soy sauce, sugar ayyrp, fish sauce, soy bean paste, garlic and red chili powder. Mix together.
- Slice the onion and big green onion and set aside.
- In a large pot, add in the pork belly.
- On top, add the kimchi.
- Pour in the sauce.
- Cover and let it cook under high heat for 20 minutes.
- Then lower the heat to medium low heat and cook for another 30 minutes.
- During the cookibg process, add in the green onion and onion that was set aside.
- Enjoy with a bowl of rice!