For my first apple pie, I would say this recipe was a hit. Everyone at the baby shower liked it.
- 1 recipe for double pie crust (go to this link for the pie crust recipe: https://www.inspiredtaste.net/22662/flaky-pie-crust-recipe/#itr-recipe-22662)
- 2 1/4 lbs of pink lady apples (prepared 7 ended up using 5.5 apples thinly sliced)
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg and 1 tbsp of water for egg wash
- Make the pie crust 1 day before and take out from fridge to get it to room temp.
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in 3 tbsp of ap flour then simmer for 1 minute whisking constantly.
- Whisk in 1/4 cup water and 1 cup sugar. Bring it to a boil whisking frequently continue simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Peel, remove cores and thinly slice the apples. Sprinkle the top with 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon and toss to coat evenly. Pour the sauce over and toss again to coat evenly.
- Sprinkle your works space with flour and take one dough roll out 12″ diameter and place it in the pie pan. Add apple mixture mounding slightly in the center and be careful to mot get filling on the edges.
- Roll out the second dough to 11″ diameter cut into strips. Arrange strips in a woven lattice. Brush with the egg wash.
- Bake at 425F for 15 minutes and then at 350F for 45 minutes until the apples are soft. Cool at room temperature for 1 hour before serving.
- You can make this a day ahead chill in fridge and then reheat it in the oven after letting it rest at room temperature.